Sunday, July 15, 2012

Prides Arch Nemesis


Humility is not a fun sounding term. It’s usually associated with embarrassing events. 

I was humiliated in the 6th grade when Missy Hazlet      wouldn’t “Go with me.”

I was humiliated when I almost set the restaurant on fire to impress a girls mom.

I was humiliated when an a large ice sculpture fell at an event and broke a stroller.
(all the above are true events)

Now it’s your turn
I was humiliated when...you fill in the blank. 
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________??

BUT...I think humility has gotten a bad name. When you understand humility’s role in business, you will never want to stop. If humility had it’s own department in your company, it would be your highest profiting department of all.

Why isn’t every business creating a humility department?

Because admitting that you’re part of the problem is difficult, especially when you’re not in a 12 step program. You want to own a business you can be proud of; Yes, I do too, but pride and being proud are different. Proud is a feeling you have towards something else, something completed. Pride is the feeling you have about yourself and the role you play. Pride is a stronghold against progress. Please do not put pride in the driver seat and sit back and watch as it crashes your business into a ditch. If you read my last post on pride, you know that:

Pride blinds you from seeing solutions, innovative or creative thoughts and ideas
Pride binds you to the status quo and cements your “One Way” sign into the ground
Pride grinds negativity into relationships exiling collaboration, the heart of relationships 
Pride minds if someone has something to say to you about it.

(If you haven’t read my post on pride, go here first http://www.jeffpennypacker.com/2012/07/1-bizness-killer-dont-do-this.html)

You are not like that right? On the outside that is true, you don’t wear pride on your sleeve but if you are human like me, (and everyone else) pride is the secret killer you never talk about.

So what is the answer?


Your ability for humility will determine profitability.

Humility, to me, is the ability to openly admit responsibility and involvement in my reality. Knowing that no matter what has happened, I made decisions that contributed to my current situation.

If you can see through the eyes of humility you will go far. If you are still thinking everyone else is the problem, I’m sorry, I can’t help you and no one else can either.

Humility does not mean passivity. Please do not become a passive person and let your business go down the toilet because everyone is walking on you like a doormat. That is not what I am saying here. 

What I am saying is that humility allows you to be open to new ideas, build relationships, value others, and build trust. All of these factors are essential to a healthy profitable business.

How do you add humility to your life?
Raise you hand - it is simple to do, when something goes wrong, raise your hand and say “I did it.” 

The first time I had to choice to raise my hand or not I was 19 years old working in the Deerpark Kitchen on the Biltmore Estate. A mistake on a customers banquet had been made and it was big, probably would result in thousands of dollars being returned to the customer. My Executive Chef Stephen Adams walked into our kitchen and asked who was responsible. Reluctantly, I raised my hand and said, “I did it.” I did get scolded for my mistake but it was much less than if I had not spoken up and he found out later. What surprised me the most, was that Chef Adams respected me more for speaking up and our relationship strengthened. Chef Adams ended up teaching me how to carve ice, lead people and many other wonderful success skills.

Here are the success tips that I pulled out of that ditch and apply to my life for high profiting results.
1. Don’t blame ANYONE but YOU!

2. Admit what your role in the situation was - specifically evaluate what your actions were and what outcome they produced. Make a list if you need to. Then you will have that list to study instead of repeating the same mistake over and over again.

3. Accept the present - whatever the outcome is, own it!

4. Take responsibility for the future -  Responsibility seems like a heavy word but it really has a simple meaning.  Responsibility is simply your Ability to Respond, so.. RESPOND! Whether that means change something or fix something, use your ability to respond to the situation in a positive manner.

When you do these 4 things, you are essentially adding a Humility department to your business. As I said earlier in this post, the humility department will become your highest revenue producing department within your company. Why? Because new ideas, relationships, valuing others, and building trust, build great businesses. And all of that comes from having a humble spirit!
I believe in your success!

Coach Jeff
P.S.  Free coaching is available at www.360businessinc.com It's free because I believe in YOU!