Monday, May 30, 2011

superhero Thinking (part 4 of 4)

Superhero Thinking
To operate your business successfully, become the superhero of your thoughts.                    
Your mind is the most positively powerful tool in your arsenal. Tap into the superpowers of your mind, then getting your business right is easy.
More Super than You?
    Its mentally tough to know there is someone better at what you do than you are. If I am good at ice sculpting (I created and own an ice sculpting company) and they are good at basketball, no worries, but if they are better at ice sculpting we have an issue. There will always be someone better, or at least better at the parts of business that you want to be good at. This will cause bitterness and feelings of inadequacy, some of that is normal, some is motivating, and some of it can really tick you off. Someone will make the bigger sale or make more money or go on more vacations, or make more people laugh, or be more daring, or.... or.....  

    I am writing in anger this very moment as I find out that my biggest competitor (from 2.5 hours away) was literally 200 yards away from my studio tonight with thousands of dollars of ice sculptures. I can’t tell you all the emotions that are running through my veins right now. I feel betrayed, I was asked to donate ice to this event by the very person who ordered the ice from my competitor! Whats up with that?  I know we do good work, and so does he. I was not given the chance to bid on this event. I was asked to donate. The event coordinator wanted $500 worth of free stuff from me and then turned around and spent thousands with him? I am only mad at the event coordinator. 

    In years past I would have been mad at my competitor too, only for the fact that he is better at sales than I am. Frankly it used to get under my skin how good at sales he is. In all honesty, I was probably not even mad at him, I was mad at myself for not being as good as he is in this area. Then I came to realize that no matter what, there will be someone better at it than you or me. Since this revelation, my competitor Gary and I, have become great friends. He has mentored me in areas of weakness and I respect him, his business, and our friendship.
    Whats the remedy here? As I calm down and the hot red blood drains out of my eyes  I think of the words contentment and Humility. Tough things to have yet we cannot win without them.
    Be the Superhero of your own mind!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Thanks for commenting. Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list for
    more great content!